Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Planet of the Peas

Unlike two peas in a pod,
Three’s a crowd.
But add two more
And there’s a party of five.
Now, a package of frozen peas
Would be nothing short of
An icy pea planet.
And how would this planet
Survive without
A powerful Potentate?
She might be hard
To point out
As she blends in quite well
With the pea peasant population.
Her reign would include
All the pleasant trappings
Of power and prestige.
There would even be
The royal pea-shooter
Sitting upon the tower
Just to keep the pea-ons
In check.
Just outside the pea kingdom,
You would find strangers
Who, though ostracized,
Are nonetheless members of the
Populous legume dynasty:
There are the black-eyed peas,
Who regularly stir the pot
And love to pick fights.
If not careful, you might just
Run into the split peas.
“To plunder, or not to plunder?”
They always seem to have
Trouble making up their minds.
Another distant cousin
To the plenteous pea family
Is none other than
The peanut.
They sometimes use salty language,
And the royal historians
Have written them off
As being just plain crazy.
Anyway, you get the point.
The next time you sit down
To dine upon your favorite legume,
And you hear tiny whispers of
“Peas are people, too!”
Coming from your plate,
Just remind yourself that
It was a poem,
Just a playful poem.



Peas, man...
for prompt #101 on Read Write Poem

13 comments:

  1. Haha, this was really fun. I love assigning roles and personalities to objects and plants. I clicked on your "legumes" label on the off chance that you might have more poems on the subject.

    Glad you used the word pea-ons... I had been waiting eagerly up to that point to come across it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might I have to make a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This gave me a good laugh! Ah, there are pea-ons in every kingdom..and they usually get all the work done! Next time I eat peas, I think I will mash them first to make sure they are dead before devouring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the schizophrenic split peas from the
    populous legume dynasty.Cute poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was fun. Now, I'm trying to think of more pea personalities!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun little exercise. Pea caught my eye, too. Took me half the week to get the Pea Princess out of my attempts. Sorry you have so much trouble with the black--eyed peas: where I'm from they are good luck and fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very witty and imaginative meditation on peas, with its allusions to various sci-fi works and our general anxiety about other species and the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. pea-ons
    captured me! Yes, this planet could continue to become the long lost p-link. Wonderful read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A pea kingdom story that could be a real illustrated fairy tale. There's something to be said about peas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking, "J"immy Carter with his peanut farm, "J"ohn Lennon with his "Give peace a Chance", and now here's "J"erry with his "Planet of Peas" poem. It's fantastic! I love it. You have given validity to legumes. Good for you! =D Thanks for posting peas, Jerry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. Lewis....Jerry....witty for sure...nicely done and thanks for sharing.....i think i have been to this pppppppppppp planet

    ReplyDelete