Monday, November 2, 2009

What the Dollar Said

-I-

George Washington gave me a dry stare
As I roughly pulled him out of thin air.
He said to me, “Would you or could you recall
The way we were living before the fall?
Lending, not spending, in our day
Was the tried way for men of gray.”
Now the slaves of debt to lenders crawl.

-V-

Lincoln attempted to give me five,
But he looked as though he wouldn’t survive.
He said, “To be free and to see resilience
In the spirit of man breeds self-reliance.”
Nevertheless, the press for more now
Keeps us in bondage, but none ask how.
Consuming, we are consumed within a trance.

-X-

Soon there was Hamilton ready to speak
Upon the days of promise and others bleak.
He said that numbers do slumber with those of no rank.
They fare much better in the hands of The Bank.
By this persists his greatest flaw,
To weaken through creditors the Eagle’s claw,
And watch as the almighty dollar shrank.


1 comment:

  1. I really, really enjoyed this poem. It's great when poetry can be so quirky and imaginative while still being strikingly poignant.

    ReplyDelete